STERG owns a number of facilities situated within the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
- 1000 °C Kiln with automated quick charge/discharge capabilities
- 5 cubic meter, 3 ton, 600 °C thermal storage test facility
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter capable of sampling to 700 °C
- Software: Fluent CFD, ArcGIS, TRNSYS, FLOWNEX etc.
- Further access to Departmental heat transfer and flow laboratories including multiple wind tunnel
A full-scale test facility was purposely designed and constructed at Stellenbosch University to demonstrate the performance of a large diameter axial flow fan under installed conditions and to test and develop the water reticulation system of a deluge condenser cell (see above photo). The facility has the following general specifications:
- 24 ft fan rotor diameter.
- The fan drive consists of a 10:1 parallel shaft reduction gearbox, in turn connected to a 132 kW (rated) electric motor (drive end) and variable speed drive (VSD) for controlling fan rotational speed up to a maximum of 150 rpm. The gearbox and motor are mounted on a slew bearing that enables measurement of the shaft torque.
- The deluge system is quipped with an 18.5 kw pump that enables circulation of water to feed a ¼ quarter segment of a full deluge system.
For more information please visit the following link https://www.minwatercsp.eu/demo-sites/stellenbosch-full-scale-test-facility/