Kathu Solar Park project Company
ENGIE BU Africa is present in Abidjan (Ivory Coast), Nairobi (Kenya), Rabat (Marroco) and Johannesburg (South Africa). The South African assets in operation are Avon and Dedisa are two thermal peaking power plant operated with a total capacity of 1 005MW, Aurora Wind farm 94 MW, Aurora and Vredendal PV plants of 21 MW.
ENGIE has a presence in South Africa since 1994, specifically in energy efficiency services, and is the country’s number 1 independent power producer. The Group aims to support the government in defining a balanced energy mix based on renewable energies (solar energy, wind power) and natural gas.
Kathu 100MW CSP Station is the first CSP project within ENGIE and as such is a high profile project for BU Africa and also for the group. The plant uses parabolic trough mirrors, providing energy to the heat transfer fluid that is used to raise steam for use in a conventional steam turbine and also provide energy to the molten salt thermal storage system. Commercial Operation Date was achieved 31 January 2019 and the electricity is sold to ESKOM.
Kathu is located in the Northern Cape of South Africa and is the CSP site is approximately 10km from the pleasant town. Kathu is 600km for Johannesburg and there are daily flights to the town. Historically Kathu has been a centre of iron ore mining, though the solar radiation, makes this location a world class site for CSP.
Purpose of the Job
The main goal of the intern/trainee engineer will be to be involved in some aspects of the following projects or activities under the supervision of the Lead Project Engineer :
• Prepare and manage Owner projects (new wells and borehole pumps, deluge system, panel replacement…),
• Follow up of the EPC obligations during the final acceptance testing period (punch list, guarantees..) until Final Acceptance Date, mirror black spot monitoring
• Follow up of the O&M Obligations and check reporting and documentation during the final acceptance testing period,
• Follow up of the Owner commitments during the final acceptance testing period regarding ESKOM, EPC, O&M,. Reply to CCTV request
• Manage contracts relating to Owner supply utilities (Nitrogen, water, electricity..),
• Follow the performance of the plant via the performance model and EPC/O&MCo obligations
• Contribute to the risks and opportunities identification,
• Participate to register for REC and CER follow up and by doing so improve the plant performance, protect our Project’s interests and sustainability in the respect of our contractual commitments, ethics rules, corporate policies, and environmental and societal responsibility.
The intern/trainee engineer will report to the Lead project engineer and will also closely interact with the O&M Co and the main Contractor.
Health; Safety and Environment (HSE)
The intern/trainee engineer will act and promote the Health and Safety culture at the construction site
• Degree Civil/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or university degree.
• Preferable internship in OCGT, CCGT, coal, renewable, solar CSP or PV, biomass, wind
Specific Knowledge / skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication, negotiation, coordination skills.
• Work in a multicultural environment and multidisciplinary teams.
• Resolve complex technical/ commercial issues.
• Work with IT systems like MS office, Document management software, etc…
• English language, Afrikaans and Spanish would be advantageous
• Valid Driver’s License
• Valid student visa
• South Africa/Kathu
• Accommodation will be provided and transportation to siteField: Operation
Duration : 4 to 6 months from Jan 2020
To apply please contact Cedric Faye at Cedric.Faye@kathusolarpark.co.za