The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
Senior Researcher/Engineer: Energy System Modeller
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Senior Researcher/Engineer in the Energy Centre within the Smart Places cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for growing and expanding the Centre’s capabilities in energy-systems planning, analysis and related modelling in the increasingly important area of complex energy systems to derive recommendations for the expansion and transformation of South African and Southern African energy systems. Simultaneously, the candidate should research and establish recommendations for the Centre’s energy-technology research priorities. This position is based in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Manage projects, research and investigations on energy modelling/planning and related topics;
- Contribute to the formulating research questions and developing study assumptions and the provision of research direction to project teams/task teams/ workgroups on energy modelling and analysis in line with strategic direction of the Energy Centre;
- Generate technical reports, articles, conference papers, journal articles and presentations aimed at energy sector clients, collaborators and partners locally and internationally focussed on technological developments;
- Develop and implement processes, systems, tools and technologies to further the strategic direction of the CSIR Energy Centre;
- Provide training and mentorship on energy systems related topics to CSIR employees;
- Contribute to the formulating of research proposals and developing relationships with potential clients and collaborators in the R&D around energy modelling related research locally and internationally.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in engineering, science, mathematics, economics or any other related field with at least six years’ working experience in energy planning or modelling. A Masters or Doctorate degree will be advantageous;
- Experience in working with a team of energy modellers and specifying energy models is essential;
- The following experience and knowledge is essential:
- Financial/economic modelling;
- Knowledge of various energy systems modelling approaches including differentiation between optimisation and simulation approaches;
- Modelling experience in PLEXOS;
- Knowledge of other full-sector energy modelling frameworks;
- Modelling experience and skills in energy planning tools/software;
- Experience in scenario-based analysis as well as other planning approaches e.g. monte-carlo, scenario-wise decomposition.
- Knowledge of the South African and Southern African energy systems (not just power sector);
- Detailed knowledge of existing and planned energy policies, legislation, regulations, codes and standards in the power sector (knowledge of other energy sector policies, regulations, codes and standards is advantageous)
- Ability to draft proposals, attract funding and lead project teams.
Closing date: 17 January 2020
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
To apply follow the link: https://www.csir.co.za/vacancies