- Our answers to common solar thermal questions
- Power from the sun is a very good, well referenced resource for all things solar thermal.
Stellenbosch Solar Resource
We track and record solar and weather data near our solar roof lab. The information is freely available to the public.
- weather.sun.ac.za is an SU website that includes our solar data but it contains much more. You can see plots and you can download data.
- www.sauran.net is the Southern African Universities Radiometric Network. This site gives access to our data and that of several other stations in the region.
World CSP Project Database
NREL and member countries of SolarPACES has combined global CSP project data that includes information for 19 countries on project status, technology and background. This database can be accessed via the NREL website.
The following modules are facilitated through the Dept. Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering, Centre for Renewable and Sustainable Energy Studies (CRSES) and the Sustainability Institute (SI).
- Introduction to solar energy is a short course to provide students with a basic understanding of solar energy
- Solar thermal energy systems is a more technical semester module for students completing their Master’s degrees.
Solar Water Heating in South Africa
Information for consumers interested in solar water heating and don’t know where to start.
- Introduction to solar water heating (SWH) in South Africa by SESSA. What kind of SWH system to select. Rebates, suppliers, issues, and more.
- SWH information from Eskom. This includes the latest information on rebates and approved suppliers.
- E3 in partnership with the CRSES were involved in a solar process heat project at CBC in 2015 to make South Africa’s first commercial ‘green’ beer available.